Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Woman Without Walls

A woman without walls… what a thought.

I pondered on this phrase for a while, wondering what it will be like to be without walls, how do I know when I am wall-less, what could cause wall-less-ness, how can one redeem a wall-less-ness situation

Prov 25: 28 says that …(s)he that hath no rule over (her)his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls

In the days of old, a city without walls is a great concern to the inhabitants and a sign that the city is weak, insecure, and so is in extreme danger. Little wonder Nehemiah was troubled about the walls of Jerusalem being broken down.

I went with my intellectual-shovel to dig deeper and explore further…

My first discovery was in the Family Bible Note
“As a city without walls is exposed to every assault of the enemy, so a spirit without self-government is the prey of every corrupt passion”.

Next I stumbled on Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Commentary
“Such are exposed to the incursions of evil thoughts and successful temptations”

Here is, Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible

“1. The good character of a wise and virtuous woman implied. she is one that has rule over her own spirit; she maintains the government of herself, and of her own appetites and passions, and does not suffer them to rebel against reason and conscience. She has the rule of her own thoughts, her desires, her inclinations, her resentments, and keeps them all in good order.

2. The bad case of a vicious woman, who has not this rule over her own spirit, who, when temptations to excess in eating or drinking are before her, has no government of herself, when she is provoked breaks out into exorbitant passions, such a one is like a city that is broken down and without walls. All that is good goes out, and forsakes her; all that is evil breaks in upon her. She lies exposed to all the temptations of Satan and becomes an easy prey to that enemy; she is also liable to many troubles and vexations; it is likewise as much a reproach to her as it is to a city to have its walls ruined”.

Every new discovery gave new meaning (and startling revelation).

This makes me look back to the times when my words, attitudes and actions have gone pear-shaped because I was not able to properly rein in my annoyance. Sometimes my body language gives me away (rolling my eyes, walking away, not smiling/plastic smiling, slamming doors etc). This is new reality to me that I need to consciously have my walls up so that I will not be easy prey for the enemy, so that I can retain the security of God (who promised to build a wall round about me). Join me to reflect on my new decision to control myself in my heart, my mind, and my body.

Seeing that I so desperately want to (and continue to) walk on water, I have realised (from all that I have dug out) that a woman without walls can not walk on water.

God bless you!

1 comment:

  1. Walls are used for both protection and defense...you know the Bible tells us that the serpent bites those who break the hedge (wall). My advice: live within the walls God has set around you.

    ReplyDelete

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...