Friday, October 9, 2009

Secret #1: Self-confidence - (3)

We're still talking about how we should (& can) always put our best foot forward. This cannot be overemphasized especially in these days that people are either looking for a job, wanting to change their jobs or working on starting their own business.

Recently, I’ve received several calls about how one can put their best foot forward in their job search and even business start-up. Some of the resumes and/or curriculum vitae (depending on which side of the Atlantic you’re on) I’ve been opportuned to review are an amazingly poor reflection of the people they are expected to be announcing.

I’ve come across people who either don’t know what they have/know or who don’t know how to tell others what they have or are capable of doing. I’ve also come across people who, shall I say, exaggerate what they can do by using words that magnify their skills. I don’t know what you think about this kind of magnification, to me it is counterproductive and is plain dishonest. There is no reason or justification for anyone to lie and why would one want to lie and then be kicked out for non-performance – just because you said you can do more than you know or can? I know a lot of people seem to put their resumes /or curriculum vitae (CV) together under the "blow your trumpet, 'cos no one else will" illusion. I agree to an extent...blow your own trumpet not your neighbour's i.e. put down things you know/can do not what you saw in your colleague's resume.

To succeed in your bid for a job or funds for a business, you need to have sufficient self-confidence, you should be able to say what you know and what you don’t know even in front of an interview panel. In stating what you don’t know, you should indicate that you are willing and able to learn – that’s definitely a better strategy than lying in your resume/CV or Business plan in an erroneous attempt of being a more attractive candidate.

In my career, I’ve also noticed that women seem to have to work harder to get (good) jobs; there is definitely a part for prayer and a part for preparation - the Bible says "faith without works is dead. Show me a woman of faith & I'll show you by her works ( James 2: 17-18 paraphrased). Let’s consider Esther...

Prior to going to see the king in Esther 5, she prayed and prepared in Esther 4. Chapter 5 starts by telling us that she put on her royal robes even at the risk of her life...I guess she wanted to “die gallantly” if that’s what it got to. Now that's a tip for we dress for our interviews...our resumes/CVs are part of our dress.

If you want to discuss this further with, feel free to post a comment or send us a note on http://www.sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/ for one-on-one contact. (P.S. there is no charge to "talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...