Friday, October 23, 2009

Impression and Expression

Have you heard of (or seen) the knuckle shake?

With everyone now being caught up in the H1N1 matter, adults and children are now being encouraged to give the “Obama bump” (as I call it) rather than shake hands as a way of preventing/minimizing the spread of the virus. This obviously made an impression on the world and is now being recommended and a greeting expression.

This got me thinking…imagine how a show of affection, admiration and acknowledgement within a marriage can impact the world. I'm now wondering and pondering on how my husband and I show affection, admiration and acknowledgement to each other...what impact does it have on those in our sphere of influence starting with our children?

It is truly worth considering...and brings me to 2 bible passages I love - because of how much they challenge me (emphasis mine):

Proverbs 12:4

A virtuous and worthy wife [earnest and strong in character] is a crowning joy to her husband, but she who makes him ashamed is as rottenness in his bones. (Amplified Bible)

A helpful wife is a jewel for her husband, but a shameless wife will make his bones rot. (Contemporary English Version)

An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, But she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones. (New King James Version (NKJV))

Proverbs 31:10-12

A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman--who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil. She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her. (Amplified Bible)

A truly good wife is the most precious treasure a man can find! Her husband depends on her, and she never lets him down. She is good to him every day of her life, (Contemporary English Version)

Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies. The heart of her husband safely trusts her; So he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil All the days of her life. (New King James Version (NKJV))

The interesting thing about a crown is that everyone else except the wearer sees it. The wearer only sees it when he/she looks in the mirror.

I wonder, do my words, attitudes, actions and even lifestyle "show" my husband how much I love and respect him...does he feel (& see) he's wearing a jewelled crown or a crown of thorns? Do I do him good everyday of my life? Tough uh? - I know.

Throughout the campaign (& to date), Obama kept referring to his wife Michelle as "his rock" - and it has nothing to do with size. How & what would your husband describe you as?

We'd like to read your TEA (Thoughts, Experience & advice) on these verses and on expressions of love in marriage too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...