Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why worry when you can pray?

“Worry is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do but doesn't take you anywhere.” This is one quotation I have held onto for decades – of course, I forget it once in a while. As I was meditating on it this morning, I decided to find out who the author of that quote was as I’d never known all these years…and guess who? A woman:
Dorothy Galyean*

I know, from personal and current experience, that it’s not easy to stop worrying – it is possible though. It is being "care- less" (i.e. without a care) - God wants us to be "care-less" – He says so more than once

Psalms 55:22:
"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
(New International Version)

1 Peter 5:7:
God cares for you, so turn all your worries over to him.
(Contemporary English Version)

Consider living by this principle:
“Worry about nothing - pray about everything”

- it will make a significant & positive difference in your life.

The Message version puts Philippians 4:6-7 this way:
“Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.”

Let’s do what another woman does: “Every evening I turn my worries over to God. He’s going to be up all night anyway” ~ Mary C. Crowley

So why lose sleep when God doesn’t sleep? Even I wonder why I do that at the times I catch myself still awake. Now, no one has said it will be easy but this quote from Mahatma Gandhi is quite an admonition: "There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever."

Need I say any more? I'll leave you with a song I learnt as a child - which is more relevant now to me (feel free to make up a tune for yourself):

Why worry, when you can pray,
Trust in Jesus and He will lead the way.
Don't be like Doubting Thomas,
Keep trusting on His promise
Why worry, worry, worry, worry,
When you can pray.

God bless us all as we switch gears from worrying to praying.
Reference:
*http://www.walkoutofworry.com/wisdom.html

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again for this reminder. As we keep going through life, we seem to forget some of these treasures that will help us live life to the fullest. Indeed, "WHY WORRY WHEN YOU CAN PRAY". I am right in the midst of a situation that I am worried about but as I write this comment, I am crying because God is indeed able to bear all of my burdens. Shallom. Franca

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a picture frame I saw in someone's home: Faith is not know that God can...it is knowing that God will.

    You're right...God is not just able to, He will, bear all your burdens...it starts with you letting go of those burdens. Otherwise, you will be in "tug of war" with God and guess who will be worn out with worry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just right for me.

    ReplyDelete

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...