Saturday, November 21, 2009

Stop rocking in that Worry chair...

“If you ask what is the single most important key to longevity, I would have to say it is avoiding worry, stress and tension. And if you didn't ask me, I'd still have to say it.” ~ George F. Burns (American comedian and actor; 1896-1996).

Now if you don't want to believe a comedian, who lived to be a 100 years old, take it from a doctor: Charles W. Mayo, M.D. "Worry and stress affects the circulation, the heart, the glands, the whole nervous system, and profoundly affects heart action."

Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop. ~Ovid

Each time I've been awake "rocking in the worry chair", I wake up tired...almost too tired to do what I need to to deal with the situation. There's just no point in staying up worrying...won't you agree?

Don't let your mind bully your body into believing it must carry the burden of its worries. ~Astrid Alauda Jesus has already offered to do that in Matthew 11: 28-30:
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good--not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne. (Amplified Bible)
Take Him up on it...you'll be glad you did.

God will never give you anything you can't handle, so don't stress. ~ Kelly Clarkson

God always equips us for everything that will come our way...He's promised us triumph* in trouble in John 16:33

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]" (Amplified Bible)
Is everything as urgent as your stress would imply? ~Carrie Latet

"When you find yourself stressed, ask yourself one question: Will this matter in 5 years from now? If yes, then do something about the situation. If no, then let it go." Catherine Pulsifer

These are 2 good questions to ask and the answers will get you out of that "worry chair"...in a heart beat. Rocking chairs are a great way to relax and rest...the place to do nothing...and enjoy it too. Let's do as David did: "I have set the LORD always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad and my spirit rejoiceth; my flesh also shall rest in hope"** - not be rocked or stressed by worry. God bless you.


* See Isaiah 43: 1-3 and 1 Corinthians 10:13
** See Psalm 16: 8-9 -21st Century King James Version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...