Sunday, March 20, 2011

Three things to fear...

I saw a rather interesting sign on the wall of the tunnel into the Charing Cross Station (from Cockspur near Trafalgar Square), it got me thinking...and now writing.

Thanks to my friend GE - I was able to get a picture of it... so I could share it with you - see what I mean?

It said many things and then ended with this short and sharp statement:
"Fear God, Fear sin, Fear nothing."

I like the order. Everyone should fear God. The wisest man who ever lived told us that:
"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom.
Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment." (Prov 9:10 - NLT)
and that's for our benefit because:
"The Lord’s delight is in those who fear him, those who put their hope in his unfailing love." (Ps 147:11 - NLT)
and then there is this bonus:
"Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart."
(Ps 37:4 - ESV)
So can anyone give me a better reason for not fearing God? I didn't think so.
"Fear God" is a fundamental piece of advice - it forms the very foundation of your life...and consequently the quality of your life. The choice is yours though...

Then Fear sin:
"Abstain from evil [shrink from it and keep aloof from it]
in whatever form or whatever kind it may be." (1 Thess 5:22 - Amplified)
because:
"The soul that sins, it [is the one that] shall die." (Ezekiel 18:20 - Amplified)
and
"We die only once, and then we are judged." (Heb 9:27-CEV)

Let's stopped here...it's very obvious, you'd agree, that once you "fear God" and "fear sin" you really don't have to fear anything else. So let's all fear God, fear sin & then fear nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...