Sunday, March 27, 2011

Count your chicks...

...before they hatch. I know we all have heard the age-old adage: "Do not count your chickens before they are hatched." Do you know the story behind it? This is a great opportunity for me to gladly share it with you...
it may be the first time some of us hear this story 
and a refresher for others...

This saying occurs in the fable: "The Milkmaid and Her Pail." Patty, a farmer's daughter, is daydreaming as she walks to town with a pail of milk balanced on her head.

Her thoughts: "The milk in this pail will provide me with cream, which I will make into butter, which I will sell in the market, and buy a dozen eggs, which will hatch into chickens, which will lay more eggs, and soon I shall have a large poultry yard. I'll sell some of the fowls and buy myself a handsome new gown and go to the fair, and when the young fellows try to make love to me, I'll toss my head and pass them by." At that moment, Patty tossed her head and lost the pailful of milk.

Her mother admonished, "Do not count your chickens before they are hatched."
~ Aesop c. 570 B.C.*

As Christians, we must learn to "count our chicks before they hatch." The reason is simple: the saying is based on a fable...did you miss that part? Some may say it is factual...no it isn't and even if it is as Christians, we must live by faith. So what is faith?

I found a lovely contemporary definition...
it is beyond factual...it is the truth and how we must all live to give God pleasure - without faith, we cannot please God.** Which is why I cannot help but to agree that:

Faith is putting all your eggs in God's basket, then counting your blessings before they hatch.

Ramona C. Carroll


Trust God and count those chicks before they hatch - call the unseen into being.

Source:
*http://www.trivia-library.com/b/origins-of-sayings-dont-count-your-chickens-before-they-hatch.htm
** Heb 11:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...