Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Be and remain current

When last did you read a newspaper? Ok, we're busy I understand - let's try another one: when last did you listen to the news?

Are you aware of what's happening around you and in the world or do you hear things long after the fact such that you cannot use the information? Let me share a personal experience:

Several years ago, I read about Nissan buying Bluebird over and wondered to myself: "Wow! What a business transaction!" I went on to share my "newly found" information with someone else. You cannot imagine how stunned I was when the person told me that that was stale news. Stale news? How come? How can something I just read be stale already?

When I got home, I checked the paper again. I couldn't believe it when I realised that I had gotten excited over a newspaper that was 2 years old. That is a classic example of the danger in not being current.

When you're not current, you may not know when it's time to start or stop doing something. Another example comes to mind. Several years ago, some people got wind that a particular bank was going under and they set out to withdraw their money. On the day one of my former colleagues went to withdraw hers, she was amazed at the number of people who were there to deposit money - into a sinking bank. Being current helped her get all her money out.

I'm sure if you look back, you can come up with other examples. Let's continue as I share 2 other examples:

In Joshua 2:8 - 14, we read (emphasis mine):
"Rahab went back up to her roof. The spies were still awake, so she told them: I know that the LORD has given Israel this land. Everyone shakes with fear because of you. We heard how the LORD dried up the Red Sea so you could leave Egypt. And we heard how you destroyed Sihon and Og, those two Amorite kings east of the Jordan River. We know that the LORD your God rules heaven and earth, and we've lost our courage and our will to fight. Please promise me in the LORD's name that you will be as kind to my family as I have been to you. Do something to show that you won't let your people kill my father and mother and my brothers and sisters and their families. " Rahab," the spies answered, " if you keep quiet about what we're doing, we promise to be kind to you when the LORD gives us this land. We pray that the LORD will kill us if we don't keep our promise!" (CEV)

It is evident that despite her disreptuable line of work, she had an eye and ear out for information. She knew what was in the news - not (only) the latest gossip... Because she was current, she could intercede and secure the life of her family members. She must have become a heroine in her time - because she was current...

Likewise, we must be aware of what is happening in the community, city, country, continent and even world that we live in - not the latest gossip. If we're not current, we may be praying amiss or even too late. To pray effectual prayers, you need be like the people in our second example (emphasis mine): "From the tribe of Issachar, there were 200 leaders of the tribe with their relatives. All these men understood the signs of the times and knew the best course for Israel to take." (1 Chron 12:32 - NLT)

To pray and map out your next plan of action, you need to know what is happening. What is the point in investing in a troubled company or a new business venture and then praying to at least recover your capital - when listening to the news or reading the papers could have "shown" you the signs of the times? Even when you hear news...do some research to confirm its validity. It's a good opportunity to pray against impending evil. When we hear of laws that our government is planning to pass - we can pray to avert the decision(s) that will impact us or generations unborn. Abraham was aware of his surroundings and in hosting the three men, he tuned into Heaven's News Network. He didn't ignore the news he heard - he used it as a basis to intercede for Lot and his family...and got results.

Many people in the Bible were current...they were in touch with the news not just immersed in their own matters. Purpose to be &/or remain current so you can redeem the time...& possibly "rescue" others from destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...