Monday, March 25, 2013

Toffee or toughie?

Last year, a very dear family friend gave us a very special type of toffee - oh they were so good that I almost felt bad taking more.

In a way I can't explain (I guess I can't explain everything), this topic popped in my head - possibly because of various things I'd heard or read...and unknown to me, things I was going to encounter...


It occurred to me that sometimes life can seem sweet - so sweet that you want more just like me and the toffee. At other times, when life is not as sweet as you prefer that's when you need to be a toughie - so that you become better, not bitter, by that experience. When things go wrong, you must remain strong.

Just like the donkey in the well,* who knew that the well was not his destination, we must be strong and keep our eyes on our goal (or dreams) so that we can step up from any setback.

I like the way Christine Kane put this (on Twitter): "Giving up on your dreams because of one set back is like slashing your other 3 tires because you got a flat." I wouldn't do this - would you? I doubt that you would either. So how do we respond to setbacks or pressure?

Proverbs 24:10 tells us that "If you fail under pressure, your strength is too small." (NLT)

The only way you can avoid caving in under pressure is by drawing strength from God.

"The Lord directs the step of the godly. He delights in every of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." (Ps 37:23-24** - NLT)

God's desire for us is that we are "Tenacious Toughies" not "Transient Toffees." The reason for this is simple: Tough times never last. tough people do. I read this book decades ago even before I "knew" what tough times could be like - the title stuck with me and has helped me through a lot. I recommend you read it too.

Indeed tough times never last. God has  promised to be with us through whatever type of tough time we face; key word is "When". "When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you." (Is 43:2 - NLT)

Remember:
“You don’t drown by falling in water. You drown by staying there” ~Anonymous
Be a toughie...and become better despite the bitter-sweet experiences of life. God bless

References:
*http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2010/05/donkey-in-well.html
** Ps 37: 23-24 - The steps of a [good] man are directed and established by the Lord when He delights in his way [and He busies Himself with his every step]. Though he falls, he shall not be utterly cast down, for the Lord grasps his hand in support andupholds him. (Amp)

"Even though good [righteous] people may be bothered by trouble [fall] seven times, they are never defeated [get back], but the wicked are overwhelmed by [stumble into] trouble." (Expanded Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...