Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Whistling Kettle

During our Holy Communion Service, the words "Whistling Kettle" dropped in my spirit... and I wrote them down in my notebook.

As I pondered on the words it just hit me that God had a word for me. I got it but decided to take some time to research into the origin of the Whistling kettle. So here's what I found out...

Sholom Borgelman (Borman) who owned a sheet metal company in London after WW1 invented the tea kettle that whistled when it reached boiling point.
It's interesting that it took me quite a bit of time to find and corroborate this piece info and yet there was not too much more info. Well, for as long as I can remember, after my mother bought one decades ago, I've always wanted to own my own Whistling kettle.

I stopped looking for one to buy last year. Now that God has a lesson for me to learn from it, I may need to restart my search...

I'd really love to know how or what inspired Sholom Borman to come up with this invention. As I think about it on the surface, it may have just been the "busyness" of life that inspired him. I know some people tease others who don't know how to cook very much, very well or at all that "they can burn boiling water." With a Whistling Kettle, that would be close to impossible just because of how the kettle functions - it whistles when the water in it has reached boiling point.

Understanding how and even why Whistling Kettles "function" are the whole point of this piece. As I pondered on the 2 words, it then hit me that a Whistling Kettle whistles when it's under pressure. I then heard the Holy Spirit ask me: "What do you do when under pressure?" I know that He knows that I don't know how to whistle - I wouldn't even know where to start if I want to learn how to. He then reminded me of these verses (italics mine):

...Making melody with all your heart to the Lord, at all times and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father.*

...and give thanks whatever happens [in all circumstances; in everything].
That is what God wants [God’s will] for you in Christ Jesus.**

Matt 12:34 says "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks" - likewise it's only the "melody" within the Whistling Kettle when all is "cool" that comes forth when it's hot i.e. under pressure. May God give us all heartfelt songs that will flow from our lips...

References:
*Eph 5:19b - 20 - Amplified
**1 Thess 5:18 - Expanded Bible

1 comment:

  1. My husband’s grandfather, Harry Bramson, invented the whistling tea kettle. This has been family lore for a long time. My husband’s mom recently passed and we found an old newspaper cllipping that verifies it. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DXYf3MABwCMbJpFZ8

    ReplyDelete

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...