Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hold on to the Rock!

This weekend, I decided to relax...yes just curl up and watch TV. It doesn't happen often so when I can, I try to enjoy the moment. When talking to my friend about my desire to watch a film, I said to her: I want to watch something and learn from it (or at least "catch" something I can share with others). So we scanned through the channels and found: "On Golden Pond" 

This was a rather interesting and touching film - I enjoyed it and caught one phrase which stuck with me:
"Hold on to the rock!"

The scene: On their way home, the boat hit a rock and the old man fell into the water. The boy jumped in to rescue him and took him to a rock in the water where he encouraged and helped him to hold on to the rock. The boy was exhausted and just as the boy was about to drift away, the old man noticed and instructed him to also: "Hold on to the rock!"


Now, his wife got worried, sought help and set out to look for them. The only reason why they were found was because they were holding on to the rock. The lesson here is: no matter how turbulent the "water" around me is, I must not drift away (or be distracted by the circumstances). I must continue to "hold on to the Rock!"

Everyone desires a smooth unperturbed life; the truth is that there will be times of turbulence and trials...both to make us better people and for God to be glorified in and through our lives. Now, it's not pleasant or easy so I'd just like to encourage you to do your very best to "HOLD ON TO THE ROCK!"

Jesus likened the hearing and doing of His word to the rock we must build our lives on.
Matthew 7: 24-27
So everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts upon them [obeying them] will be like a sensible (prudent, practical, wise) man who built his house upon the rock. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not do them will be like a stupid (foolish) man who built his house upon the sand. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell--and great and complete was the fall of it.* (Amplified Bible)
I do not (& cannot) know what (& all) you are going or have gone through this year...I just have this word laid on my heart: "Hold on to the Rock!" Jesus is the Word of God, the Rock of Ages that never fails. He can do all things except fail - He doesn't know how to. Dig deep into the words He spoke to you this year...hold on to and do them - that's what I'm doing too. His promises are never too good to be true...He is true to His word.
Hold on to the Rock!

God bless you

*Also in Luke 7: 47-49

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...