Saturday, August 18, 2012

Would you prefer a boon or a boom?

I’m also so delighted when I learn something new. Some time ago I was reading an article and saw the word “boon” – my first inclination was to correct it – in my copy. Then I felt the Holy Spirit say: “Don’t be so quick, look it up first.” So I did & decided to share what I learnt.

This experience taught me 2 things:
  1. Don’t be quick to “judge” – in fact do not judge at all. My first conclusion was that the writer of the article didn’t know how to spell (or didn’t even perform “spell-check”) whereas, putting it very nicely, it was my lack of “knowledge” that was showing.
  2. We don’t know as much as we think we do, so keep an open mind that is willing to learn. I have said it before that the only people who are incapable of learning are the dead.* Mortimer Adler aptly said: "The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as we continue to live." At the risk of sounding morbid, if you "think" you are incapable if learning, check yourself… you may "learn" that you can learn. An undeniable fact of life is that: "You learn something every day if you pay attention."**
Ok let me go back to the point of this posting...

When I looked up and found out the meaning of the word and remembered the context in which a lot of people use the word "boom," I asked myself which I'd prefer...

Boon means: Blessing, benefit, bonus; something to be thankful for
Boom means: Sudden increase, progress, growth, flourish vigorously

Based on these definitions, I have decided not to prefer one over the other. I want many boons and booms...so that there will be more boons and booms around me...Genesis 12:2*** is very clear that one reason why God chooses to bless us is so that we are (& remain) a source of blessing to others. In other words, God expects us to live a "loving-and-giving" life. Indeed one is incomplete without the other.


References:

*http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2009/12/secret-3-courage-5-courage-to-learn.html
Lesson 11: http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2010/11/12-lessons-from-12-angry-men.html
**Ray LeBlond
***I will make of you a great nation and will bless you. I will make your name respected, and you will be a blessing. (Common English Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...