Sunday, August 26, 2012

Do you speed up or slow down...

...when approaching an amber (yellow) traffic light?

A few weeks ago I noticed that I reacted in 2 different ways as I approached an amber (yellow) traffic light.
At the first one, I noticed as I headed to the middle of the intersection that the light had started turning amber - so I had no choice but to go on. It was the right decision in that split second otherwise I could have caused an accident - the person behind me could have run into me. At the second one, I noticed about 100 metres before the intersection that the traffic light was about to turn amber and there was no wisdom in speeding up - that felt unsafe.

After that experience I just asked myself the very same question - which is our topic. Without a doubt, I agree that timing is everything - indeed the Bible says that:
"The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong,  nor does food come to the wise  or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all." (NIV)

The Bible also says that:
The Lord directs the steps of the godly.
He delights in every detail of their lives. (NLT)

Putting both verses together, I believe God is teaching us to be perceptive of His leading at all the "traffic lights"* of life. We need to know when God says we should speed up and when we need to slow down. You definitely do not want to speed up and find out that God is not there with you nor do you want to slow down under the excuse of waiting for God whereas God has gone ahead and is waiting for you.

 Whatever you do, always follow God's leading. Remember that, as Marsha Evans says: 
"God will order your footsteps….but that will require that your FOOT takes a STEP" ...which could require you to speed up or slow down as He deems best for you - at that traffic light.* 

Reference:
*http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.ca/2010/09/maintain-your-pace.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...