Wednesday, October 20, 2010

80:20

Some (if not most) of us would have heard of the 80:20 rule in business circles. The interesting thing about this rule is how relevant it is in (& to) our everyday lives.

Essentially the rule encourages people to determine how to live efficiently =>
least effort and most result.

"Pareto's Principle, the 80/20 Rule, should serve as a daily reminder to focus 80 percent of your time and energy on the 20 percent of your work that is really important.
Don't just "work smart", work smart on the right things. "*

This rule came to mind a few months ago when I realized I was getting stressed rather than determining what I could and what I could not do. It's a "wasteful" way of living getting stressed about things you have absolutely no control over. In fact, you drain the physical, emotional and even psychological strength you have when you worry or get stressed about things outside your control. Like my husband likes to say, "do not major on the minor things."

The wisest thing to do when faced with a challenge, after praying about it, is determine what you can and cannot control...it helps you focus on the major stuff not the "minor irritations". Getting worked up about things you have no control over results in a 20:80 life i.e. 80% effort with 20% results - what a waste!

As I meditated on how to live an 80:20 life, the Holy Spirit brought this age-old prayer by Reinhold Niebuhrto mind. I'm sure a lot of us have seen, and possibly said, this prayer  - at least the first part...

The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
I like the rest of it too...
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Now that is the key to living an 80:20 life...go on and enjoy your life.
May God bless you with 80:20 strategies. Amen

Source:
*http://management.about.com/cs/generalmanagement/a/Pareto081202.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...