Thursday, December 10, 2015

More tools?

3 years ago, I was thinking about what I wanted to buy myself for Christmas. Yes I buy gifts for myself. So I had just about settled on buying myself an advanced Study Bible/ Dictionary/ Concordance with Hebrew and Greek - the reason was simple: I wanted to read and study the Bible with more meaning and depth in more than one language. To put this in context, we already have several Bible versions, Bible Dictionaries and Concordances in our home.

The Bible is such a mine of precious stones and life-long gems that I wanted to get more "tools" to dig them up. Just around the same time, one of my dear cousins asked me:
"Please which type of Study Bible do you recommend I buy?"

The Holy Spirit, in His usual kind way, reminded me that getting more Bible Study tools (&/or gadgets) was not necessarily going to make me read or understand the Bible more. He was very direct in saying: "The best way to get gems from the Bible is by reading it consistently."

So I left off on buying any new "tools" and just focused on making better (& more use) of what I already have. For instance, if I read something once, I'd listen to it twice or just do something different with it and indeed God has taught me so much more. These 3 quotes are so true and note that the first 2 were by former US Presidents:

Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face. ~ Ronald Reagan

A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

“The Bible was not given for our information but for our transformation.”
~ Dwight Lyman Moody

When you pick up your Bible, always ask:
"Lord, open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of your law."*
OR
"Lord, as I go into Your Word, teach me, help me understand
and help me obey. In Jesus Name I pray.**"

P.S. I'm not saying that Bible Study tools are bad - just saying that they should not be a distraction or a reason not to spend the time and dig out gems from the Bible yourself.

References:
* Ps 119:18 - a prayer my Mother taught us while growing up
** My coinage for my children

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...