Saturday, March 3, 2012

Thinking back...and looking forward...

It's been a whole month since I had the privilege of burying my father - yes, it is a privilege and definite blessing from God that we outlive our parents and not the other way around. For those of us who have had any loss in our lives you know it is a time for reality check.

The Message rendition of Ecclesiastes 7: 2 is very apt:
You learn more at a funeral than at a feast— After all, that's where we'll end up. We might discover something from it.
Since my Dad's passing, I've been asking myself all manner of questions... the terminal point of my questions has been: "What will I be remembered for when I go home to the Lord?" Although I know that I'm not going to die soon - because I still have a lot of work to do here, I also know that it is no too early to make sure that I'll leave marvellous memories behind not miserable ones. Think about it: When we were born everyone around us was very glad and rejoicing while we were crying (rightly so to clear our airways and expand our lungs).

From that point, things change - when some people die, the people around, though sad (about the loss of life) are also glad and can rejoice over the gift(s) that life gave them and many others. Unfortunately, for some others, it is very sad sadness (if there is any such term) and a lot of regret of how such a precious life may have wasted their own gift of life.

While still trying to come to terms with my Dad's sudden not to mention shocking demise, Whitney Houston passed on too - talk about another reality jolt. All those asked about her - her life and her legacy - had different things to say. Some had and shared marvellous memories and some had miserable memories. At her funeral, Tyler Perry said: "Whitney brought the whole world to church." It got me thinking - very deeply - again. I couldn't help but wonder, "how many people have I brought to the Lord - not just to church?"

Thinking back and looking forward, this 1870 hymn continues to ring true:
 
Fading away like the stars of the morning,
Losing their light in the glorious sun -
Thus would we pass from the earth and its toiling,
Only remembered by what we have done.

Refrain
Only remembered, only remembered,
Only remembered by what we have done;
Thus would we pass from the earth and its toiling,
Only remembered by what we have done.

Shall we be missed though by others succeeded,
Reaping the fields we in springtime have sown?
No, for the sowers may pass from their labors,
Only remembered by what they have done.

Refrain

Only the truth that in life we have spoken,
Only the seed that on earth we have sown;
These shall pass onward when we are forgotten,
Fruits of the harvest and what we have done.

Refrain

Oh, when the Saviour shall make up His Jewels,
When the bright crowns of rejoicing are won,
Then shall His weary and faithful disciples,
All be remembered by what they have done.

So in the faraway future when your work here is done, what will you be remembered for? Will people be glad they knew and interacted with you, though sad or just sad all around? May it be the former - it's all up to us how we live (& give) our lives. God bless and keep us.

Source: http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/o/n/l/onlyreme.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...