Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I didn’t ask to be born…

Recently, I read an interview with Bill Cosby and his new book titled:
“I didn’t ask to be born (but I’m glad I was).”
I haven’t read the book yet - the title is enough to make me look out for it. If you’ve read it I would be glad to hear about it - just email:

Well, as I was saying the title “stuck” to me. When you think about it, none of us asked to be born – I mean for those of us who are parents, none of your children asked to be born either. The big question for me with this title is:
Besides me, is anyone else glad that I was born?

I mean, I cannot imagine this world without me…or is it cannot imagine me without the world – and there is no better time than this time I’m living in? I acknowledge that some people are not happy with the current condition of their lives and some are out-rightly unhappy with their lives and that is a very sad place to be. Let’s spin this a bit - like me, you also didn’t ask to be born but what have you done with the gift of life you received?

There are no assurances that “bad” or unpleasant things will not happen in your life – actually Jesus promised us tribulation in this world. So the question is what do you do with the things that happen to you? I believe everything we go through – pleasant or unpleasant – are to make us better, not bitter, people.

There are some of you who were very delightful people – everyone wanted to be around you and others wanted you to always be around them and then something “unfair” happened. Now you do not want to be around anyone and the feeling is mutual because no-one wants to be around you or wants you around them either and sometimes you wonder “why was I even born?” In case you don’t already know and even if you already know, let me announce to you that: You were born because God has a special assignment for you on earth – that no-one but you can perform. No one can be a better you than you. Ephesians 2:10 tells us that “we are His workmanship…and created for good works.” God created you so that YOU will reflect and radiate His glory – and make people glad that you were born.

You owe it to yourself to be glad you were born and spread that gladness wherever you go. Yes, yes – you didn’t ask to be born – that’s History. You are here now – that’s Geography. Maximize the moments….Make A Difference. Leave the world better than you met it – that will be utilising the Chemistry of who you are…and everyone will be glad you were born.
I'm glad I was born - are you glad you were born?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...