Sunday, October 16, 2011

Are you a signpost?

I'm sure we all know what signposts are; they are a very useful part of our everyday lives. Whenever I go to a new city or a part of the city I live in that I'm famililar with or not so familiar with, I take time to look at the signposts around - to know where I am, where I'm going and/or even know where I should avoid. I can bet that you use signposts the same way or maybe in more ways than I do. However, as useful as they are, have you noticed that signposts never go anywhere? And that has nothing to do with their age, size, or relevance.

This simple fact came to mind when I heard this "attractive" ad on the radio. In advertising for school bus drivers, the catch phrase was: "come & transport children to the future." When I heard it, I started asking myself how many of the people who have been transporting children to their (children's)future are still living in their past. I mean, that's exactly what a signpost does - it shows you where to go but doesn't go anywhere itself. I'm referring especially to parents. I've seen more mothers who put their lives on hold because they have children - that's not God's plan for you!

The fact about putting your life on hold is that anyone who is not progressing is regressing. Sydney J. Harris said: "The greatest enemy of progress is not stagnation, but false progress." Indeed, the only thing worse than outright stagnation is thinking you're progressing when you're just going round in circles. As you invest in your children to prepare/support them to become all God intended for them, be sure to also invest in yourself. "Transporting" our children to and from school can sometimes be like going round in circles. While there is nothing wrong with being a school bus driver - there is everything wrong with being a signpost-bus driver - transporting children to their future and not advancing into yours.

“The trouble with our age is that it is all signpost and no destination.” (Louis Kronenberger) Whatever you do, don't be part of the trouble of our age - be headed to your destiny in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...