Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What do you see, sense and support?

This morning, during my QT, I read some verses of Hebrews 11. Verse 23 struck me as if I'd never seen or even read it before - has that ever happened to you? Let's read the verse together - in 2 versions... pay attention to the words that jumped out to me (italics mine)

Hebrews 11:23
By faith Moses’ parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict. (NIV)

It was by faith that Moses’ parents hid him for three months when he was born. They saw that God had given them an unusual child, and they were not afraid to disobey the king’s command. (NLT)

This verse reminded me of something I keep doing - like Mary did in Luke 2:19 & 51:

v. 19
"But Mary was keeping within herself all these things (sayings), weighing and pondering them in her heart."*
v.51
"...and his mother kept and closely and persistently guarded all these things in her heart."*

In addtion to the fact that the angel had told her, Mary paid close attention to what others said about her son - our Saviour as well as what He did and said. Interesting that verse 52 says: "And Jesus increased in wisdom (in broad and full understanding) and in stature and years, and in favor with God and man."* obviously because He "was [habitually] obedient to them."* Before I go off on a tangent, let me reel myself back in...

Lady Bird Johnson said: "Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." Now that sounds like a stern warning - Be careful what you think/believe of your children.

Earvin "Magic" Johnson, who wasn't her son and who I don't think was even related to her, said: "All kids need is a little help, a little hope, and someone who believes in them."

From Heb 11:23, it's obvious that Moses' parents noticed that their son was unusual, unique and did what they could to "protect" him so he was alive to fulfill his God-given purpose. Now time for introspection: "What have I seen in and/or heard about my children?" "How do I hide my children from dream killers and preserve them for their God-given purpose?"


That's a challenge I encourage us all to take. Begin to take notice and ponder, be careful to "see" and constantly speak only positive things into our children's lives. Infact. I intend to do a little more than that because, "if a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in." (Rachel Carson) Plan to be that adult for your children - you're their best option!


*Amplified

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...