Thursday, June 2, 2011

T.H.I.N.K. before you speak

Someone blessed me with this by email...so I decided to be a blessing too.

Alan Redpath once formed a "mutual encouragement" fellowship at a time of stress in one of his pastorates. The members subscribed to a simple formula applied before speaking of any person or subject that was perhaps controversial.

T - Is it True?
H - Is it Helpful?
I - Is it Inspiring?
N - Is it Necessary?
K - Is it Kind?

Paul wrote, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." (Philippians 4:8 - NIV)

I like this rendition: And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. (Philippians 4:8 - NLT).

Thinking before we speak takes conscious effort. It means we need to think about what we want to say, how we will say what we want to say and then reconsider if we even need to say it at all. I liken it to engaging your gear before pressing on the accelerator in your car. We need to engage our brains before letting out tongues "go". Who knows if that's shy God put our brains at the top of our bodies? I wonder how different things would have been if our brains were in our heels.

Each time you are about to speak, think then ask yourself:
"Has what I want to say passed the T.H.I.N.K. test?"
May this acronym guide our thinking and speaking...Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...