Monday, June 6, 2011

Psalm for the season...

I believe this also happens to you...it happens to me often. If you're preceptive, you'll notice that God sometimes gives us an "all-season" word in high doses within a short period of time. God, in His wisdom, ensures that the same word/message is repeated over and over again. My husband repeatedly says that "repitition brings reinforcement" and that is so true.

I know that while God wants us to obey His every word, there are some that He wants to be hard-wired into our lifestyle. I believe that's what God has been doing with me and a couple of other people in the past couple of months. Interestingly, this is not a "new" word - it's just one God needs us to ruminate upon and properly digest so it benefits us - for life.


For the past 4 months or even longer, we've been focussing on "Praise." Different people have shared on the various aspects of praise and I've learned a lot. We even had times when we had a "Psalm-singing" service going from one Psalm to the other.  One Psalm that has reoccurred several times - and even has a song that has quickly become a church anthem of sorts, is Psalms 92. For me, it's the Psalm for the season - for a good reason & for my lifetime.

You'll see why I say so as we discuss this. We'll do that in more than one posting...so we have time to ruminate on it - a bite at a time. So let's start with the whole Psalm first:

Verse 1
IT IS a good and delightful thing to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises [with musical accompaniment] to Your name, O Most High,
Verse 2
To show forth Your loving-kindness in the morning and Your faithfulness by night,
Verse 3
With an instrument of ten strings and with the lute, with a solemn sound upon the lyre.
Verse 4
For You, O Lord, have made me glad by Your works; at the deeds of Your hands I joyfully sing.
Verse 5
How great are Your doings, O Lord! Your thoughts are very deep.
Verse 6
A man in his rude and uncultivated state knows not, neither does a [self-confident] fool understand this:
Verse 7
That though the wicked spring up like grass and all evildoers flourish, they are doomed to be destroyed forever.
Verse 8
 But You, Lord, are on high forever.
Verse 9
 For behold, Your adversaries, O Lord, for behold, Your enemies shall perish; all the evildoers shall be scattered.
Verse 10
 But my horn (emblem of excessive strength and stately grace) You have exalted like that of a wild ox; I am anointed with fresh oil.
Verse 11
 My eye looks upon those who lie in wait for me; my ears hear the evildoers that rise up against me.
Verse 12
 The [uncompromisingly] righteous shall flourish like the palm tree [be long-lived, stately, upright, useful, and fruitful]; they shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon [majestic, stable, durable, and incorruptible].
Verse 13
 Planted in the house of the Lord, they shall flourish in the courts of our God.
Verse 14
 [Growing in grace] they shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be full of sap [of spiritual vitality] and [rich in the] verdure [of trust, love, and contentment].
Verse 15
 [They are living memorials] to show that the Lord is upright and faithful to His promises; He is my Rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.*

To be continued...

Source:
Amplified Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...