Saturday, July 17, 2010

Walking works

I recently walked more than I've ever walked in my life...and suprisingly, at the end of each day, I was still standing. Then it hit me that walking works and I better work it into my lifestyle asap - remember HEELS?
As usual, I decided to share this new found activity with you all. The best thing about walking is that it is not expensive and does not require any equipment or special clothes but I won't recommend walking in high-heeled shoes though. All it needs is you on your feet, landing heel first as you move forward.

I went on to look for the benefits of walking - really more to convince myself of this lifestyle change that my husband has been talking about for a while. Hopefully, you will also be convinced. Here are 20 things I found out about walking
According to Feet for Life (The Society of Chiropodists & Podiatrists), it:
  1. Promotes psychological well-being and reduces feelings of stress and depression
  2. Reduces tiredness and gives people more energy for everyday tasks Not too sure about this because I was pretty tired after that weekend I mentioned but maybe I'll experience this as I stick with my new lifestyle
  3. Promotes better sleep No doubt about that, I slept like a log each night that weekend and still managed to wake up early the next morning - wonder how that happened
  4. Helps the muscles and ligaments in the feet to work more efficiently, and keep them supple and flexible
  5. Reduces depression and anxiety I already know how to eliminate it - casting all my cares upon God  
  6. Helps people achieve and maintain a healthy body weight That's an attractive benefit - definitely cheaper than trying to fit into girdles and drinking all sorts of weight loss remedies
  7. Helps build and maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints
  8. Helps to reduce the risks of many serious health problems in old age I expect to age gracefully too and be healthy all the way
  9. Helps to reduce the risks of developing osteoporosis Now that's a big word that I don't even want near me in any form
  10. Helps to reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease (CHD)
  11. Helps to lower the risk of developing high blood pressure
  12. Helps to reduce blood pressure in people who already have hypertension
  13. Helps to lower total blood cholesterol
  14. Helps to reduce the risk of stroke
  15. Helps to reduce the risk of developing colon and breast cancer
So are you convinced yet? Well, I'm not done so please read on...
While walking:
  1. I noticed that I was able to clear my head and even shift gears from work to home and vice versa
  2. It also gave me some "me-time" - yes personal space is valuable
  3. It was a great time to connect with God despite the busy-ness around me
  4. It didn't matter what my body mass or any of those statistics were
  5. I was able to thank God that I can walk 
Em...I'm not sure but don't think that walking around the house counts - so that's not a valid excuse for not walking outside your home. I know someone who parks some distance away from the store(s) when she goes shopping so she can walk - as if walking through the store is not enough work; she preaches that to anyone who goes shopping with her and makes them walk too (at least to the store) - talking about active evangelism. That's the best thing about walking, you cannot walk too much...just pace yourself though.

Did I mention that walking is "green". Ok, so we don't say too much and do too little, try it and tell us what you think. When you get a hang of it, invite your family and friends to join you - won't you want them to live long too? I would. God bless 
 
Source:
#1 - 15 from: http://www.feetforlife.org/cgi-bin/item.cgi?ap=1&id=642&d=pnd&dateformat=%25o-%25B
Further reading: http://www.coolwalking.com/benefits.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...