Monday, July 5, 2010

Psalm 23:1

I don’t know if you’re like me, but we grew up having to memorize Psalm 23. At that time, it was just another spiritual activity enforced by parents - (sound familiar?). However, as I matured and developed my own relationship with the Lord, this Psalm took on (& has continued to) a new meaning for me.

Let’s dig into verse 1 and see how different (popular) versions put it:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (KJV)

The Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack. (Amplified Bible)

The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. (New Living Translation)

You, Lord, are my shepherd. I will never be in need. (Contemporary English Version)

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. (New International Version)

Irrespective of which version you use (or prefer), they all say one thing to me: “God’s got my back!”

It will be foolish (& I believe that there is a thin line between faith and foolishness), to say that you will never need anything. Think about it, you need air to live and have faith that God will always provide it. So, the faith-based way to put this is: “I will never be in need.”(CEV)

I cannot overemphasize that we will always need things (& people) – only the dead don’t need a thing. However, because we walk by faith and not by sight*, we can be assured that God will supply all our needs**.

Ps 23:1 is a declaration of a dependency and rare relationship that is available to any and everyone. It all starts with your decision to become one of God’s sheep…if you haven’t made that decision, please do not harden your heart***; I can assure you that’s the best decision you’ll ever make in life. Imagine a life where all your needs, and some wants too, are met from an inexhaustible supply? Now…that is the life!!!

The Lord is my shepherd,
so I know without a shadow of doubt,
I have everything I will ever need!!!

References:

* 2 Cor 5:7 - We live by faith, not by sight. . (New International Version)

** Phil 4:19 - And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Amplified Bible)

*** Ps 95:7 - For he is our God. We are the people he watches over, the flock under his care. If only you would listen to his voice today!

P.S. I submitted this to "Faithful Bloggers" (http://faithfulbloggers.com/blog/2010/06/30/christian-group-writing-project/) - check it out and see what others are saying about this and other verses in Psalm 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...