Friday, June 11, 2010

Many faces of TLC...


"Here she comes again - with another TLA" - did I perchance read your mind? Ok I'll break them down one at a time. TLA stands for "Three Letter Abbreviation". Have you noticed that in some places - church, office, schools etc there are so many TLAs or acroymns that it almost feels like you need to expand (or is it contract) your vocabulary to speak their lingo. Some common TLAs or acroymns include: PTA, JFK, CIA, CFO. CEO, CIO, COC, LOL, USD, GHA, PDA, WoW (I hope you know that one)

Where am I going with this? Obviously further away from the topic...so let's quickly retrace our steps.

I recently celebrated my wedding anniversary...it was humbling and also "alarming" (for want of a better word) to realize that I had lasted this long in marriage and above all, I am still happy and fulfilled. I cannot truly say I was happy each and every day of the months and years that have rolled by but God has always been my buffer. Thank God for the Holy Spirit Who lifts my spirits up - which was why I started thinking about writing this piece and remembered an email a dear friend sent to me.

I can't speak for you, but sometimes I really feel unappreciated - by my children, siblings, friends, brethren, colleagues, bosses and even my husband - can you imagine how that feels? Possibly you've been in those shoes or are actually wearing them as we converse... Can you imagine my response when one of my children asked me for an allowance for helping me? No need to imagine, I'll tell you what happened - well without missing a beat, I retorted: "do you give me an allowance for cooking for you?" The conversation ended there - not sure if that request will not surface again though. I also expect my husband and others to say "thank you" to me more often than I hear them say it.

Well, borrowing inspiration from my friend's email I've decided to ignore the times I don't feel appreciated and relish the times that I have been appreciated. I've also decided to dwell on the "show" versus the "say". Some of us who are married like PDAs - no not "Personal Digital Assistant", I mean "Public Display of Affection". For me, this is where TLC comes to mind. Yes, Tender Loving Care (not Traditional Law & Custom). Our husbands all have different ways of expressing their TLC and it may not be by a PDA. My recommendation: identify and enjoy your husband's own way rather than comparing him to others just like this wise woman...Seems like TLC & PDA rolled into one. What would you have done if you were her? Personally, not sure if previously I would have gone on this ride or been smiling...but now, I think I would have considered it and maybe taken an umbrella for some shade - and you?
Have a blessed weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...