Thursday, June 10, 2010

Don't wait for Mr Right...

Growing up and looking forward to being married, my peers and I always commented about looking for Mr Right. When I became a christian, the question then became: "how do I know Mr Right?" Of course, the  married people used to say - "you will know" or "God will speak to you". I eventually found the second response to be more accurate in my case and we've talked about how to hear from God in a previous posting...so that's not where I'm going.

In waiting to get married, one thing I didn't do was have a "MrRightometer" - I wondered about 1 or 2 guys but didn't dwell on them - ok, maybe I thought a bit about if they were prospects but moved on quickly. I was more interested in living and having a fulfilled life - and that paid off. If you're not complete, happy and fulfilled as a single person, I can assure you that marriage won't bring you any more happiness, fulfillment or completeness. Marriage is a wonderful institution but only God brings fulfillment not any man or woman.

As we continue on this topic, let's take a step back in time at look at the first marriage in the Bible. I'm sure you've heard sermons on how God made the woman while the man was asleep. When he awakened that he saw her - already made!! For me the key thing to note is: God made the woman ready for marriage. Obviously, this is God's plan for every marriage. He desires that as women, we are "Miss Right" before we are found/seen. By the way, in this time of gender equality...God made the man too.

For all you ladies who anticipate being married, I suggest you let God make you Miss Right. For instance, now is the time to know how to have a work-life balance because if you're career-centric you're guaranteed to have issues when you get married. If you must immerse yourself totally in anything, I recommend being involved in church - that's what I did and I'm glad I did because now I cannot come and go as easily as I could when I was single. Now, that I'm married, there are other people to consider not to mention all the other household matters that need my attention and action.

In closing, believe me when I say, "don't wait for Mr Right...let God make you Miss Right" and the man for you will "see" (find) you. Afterall Prov 18: 22 says: The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the Lord. (NLT) Which means that you must already be wife-material before you are found. I believe that has helped in remain married for so long...even as I continue to strive to be a better wife.

Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate. ~Barnett R. Brickner - remember, it's the men that find...

Did I mention that this is what I did? Well it is and it sure paid off. I'm happily married to my best friend.
God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...