Wednesday, May 8, 2013

MYOB


"MYOB" is something I say quite a bit in my home. Well what else do you say when one child thinks that he is entitled to the same rights i.e. privileges as his sibling without the same level responsibility? Some other times when I need to say "MYOB" is when my children try to strive for equality - thinking it's the same thing as equity. As hard as you may try, you cannot treat each child equally but you must be careful to treat them fairly and not be partial to any  (i.e. equity). It's tough but possible. Let me share an example from a personal experience: A few days ago, I decided to make omelettes for my children. When I was done, I noticed that both omelettes were not the same size or shape - i.e. were not equal, although I was careful to ensure equity - one egg per child.
Before I go off track and come up with health family recipes, let's go back to the topic..."MYOB"

Did you know that Jesus also had an occassion to say "MYOB" - though not in the same words. It happened after Jesus restored Peter and Peter felt that he had to ask about John. Let's read how it played out in John 21:21-22:
When Peter saw him behind them, he asked Jesus, “Lord, what about him?” Jesus answered [him], “If I want him to live until I come back, that is not your business [what is that to you?]. You follow me.” (Expanded Bible)
This came on my "sharing radar" because I notice that too many of us expect to be treated the same way as others. When it doesn't happen like that, we sometimes sulk or even throw "tantrums" saying: "It's not fair." 
I find it unfortunate that some of us keep comparing ourselves to others - wondering why we don't have what they have or why we seem to have more "troubles" - and act like victims of life rather than as "players" and even victors in life which we are through Jesus.* We even worsen it by not minding our own business and keep tracking others' affairs. Now, I'm not saying that you should be self-centred I'm just saying that we need to learn to mind our own business more. When you live an MYOB life, you'll not be a busy body rather your body will be busy fulfilling God's will and your life will be more fulfilling.

Wishing you a great MYOB life - focus and run the race set before you**...



*John 16: 33 - I’ve told you this so that my peace will be with you. In the world you’ll have trouble. But cheer up! I have overcome the world.” (Common English Bible)

**Heb 12: 1-2 - Therefore then, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses [who have borne testimony to the Truth], let us strip off and throw aside every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) and that sin which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us,  Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God.(Amp)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...