God is a God of balance and expects us to not only to "stay on" as christians, He also requires that put on and put off some things permanently not on a part-time basis... including:
- Put off: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. Put off the old man and his deeds. Put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him. Put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering... (Col 3:8; 9b; 10 & 12b - NKJV)
- Put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. (Eph 3: 22b - 24 - NIV)
- Put on the [full] armor of light. Put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts. ((Rom 13: 12c - Amplified; Rom 13:14 - NKJV)
- Put on God’s whole armor [the armor of a heavy-armed soldier which God supplies], that you may be able successfully to stand up against [all] the strategies and the deceits of the devil. (Eph 6:11 - Amplified)
- Above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. (Col 3: 14)
Knowing this, I have decided to stay on task then consciously and constantly push off all the thoughts and things that may want to make me go off - and I mean that literally. I hear you as you join me to say: "So help me God." He'll help us all.
* Col 3:3 (personalized)