Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Noah's Ark

A few months ago, I was working on something when "Noah's ark" dropped in my heart.

There are so many lessons we can learn from that real-life story - what an experience it must have been for Noah & his family! Imagine it! Some of us may have seen the over 10-year old email titled: 
"Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah's Ark!" before. I'll use a some of the points there and share 2 of mine.
  1. There is room for everyone: I like the African proverb that says: "there is enough room in the sky for all the birds to fly without hitting each other." In deed God created this earth with room for everyone to achieve their destiny. Beyond that, He is preparing a place for each of us in heaven.*
  2. Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark. I'm sure we all know the age-old management proverb - "failing to plan is planning to fail"**
  3. Stay fit. When you're 600 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big.
  4. Don't listen to critics; just get on with the job that needs to be done. Personally, I've found that those who are doing something (and making impact) are targeted and criticized...so check yourself. At the risk of requesting for critics, if no one is talking about how you could do something better or differently - then maybe you're not doing much...if anything. 
  5. For safety's sake, travel in pairs. Ecc 4: 9 - 10, 12a says: "Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.  A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer.***
  6. Speed isn't always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs. This is so true because in life sometimes you need to slow down in order to speed up...You may remember the moral from the fable of the hare and tortoise..."slow and steady wins the race." The Bible also tells us that there is no guarantee that the fastest runner will win the race...****
  7. When you're stressed, float a while.
  8. Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals. I like this one because it reminds & reassures me that I can do something with what I have rather than do nothing because I don't have all I need (which may be simply wants)...

  9. No matter the storm, when you are with God, there's always a rainbow waiting.
The last lesson (#10) for me is: know and do what God has asked you to do...and long after you're gone people will talk about the lessons to be learned from your life. What a legacy!

I cannot but agree with Maria Robinson that: "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." Like my husband says "Your future begins today." Start working on that legacy.



References
*John 14: 2-3: There is more than enough room in my Father’s home.If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. (NLT)
**Alan Lakein
***NLT
****Ecc 9:11 - I have observed something else under the sun. The fastest runner doesn’t always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn’t always win the battle. The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don’t always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time. (NLT)
****Maria Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...