Friday, January 15, 2010

Don't ASK...there's no point!

Did I just hear a "What?!" from you? I can imagine the thoughts & question going through your mind..."What is she talking about?" "Why is she talking out of 2 sides of her mouth?" "What's up?" and many more questions. Well before you close this webpage, please "read me out"...

Have you ever asked yourself why we ASK for things?

Personally, I ASK because I need (& sometimes want) something. That's as simple as it gets.

So what's the point ASKing if you already have (or have access) to what you need (or want)? Stay with me we're going somewhere.

In Philippians 4:13, the Bible says:

"I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency]."*

Simply, put: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."**

John 15: 4-5 gives us the prerequisite: "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."**

Put together, you & I can do all things (& anything) once we are and remain connected to Jesus.

There are things that have proven to be challenges in our lives; examples that come to mind include: eating less, more or just eating healthier, losing or gaining weight, being more disciplined and focussed, improving our relationship with God and man, forgiving others, giving..the list is endless. A lot of these do not require prayer (this is not to diminish the importance of prayer in anyway). The fact is that some, if not all of these, and the unlisted ones, just require us to Decide & Do.

An example that comes to mind is a vacuum cleaner. By itself, a vacuum cleaner has the potential to clean. When it is plugged in, it receives the power to clean. Until it is switched on, the potential and power cannot produce results. Once it is switched on, the potential and power jointly make the possibility a reality when someone uses the vacuum cleaner.

I encourage and challenge you to assess your life - what are the things you want/need to accomplish? This is a new year, a great time to make a distinction and decision to stay connected to "Jesus-power" and switch on action. Of course, ASK as you go along...yes as you go along - making progress and producing results. Start deciding and doing...


Verses from:
* Amplified Bible
** New King James Version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...