Friday, April 3, 2015
It's ok to have "the attitude"
The problem with that statement is that it's not clear as to what type of attitude.
In Philippians 2:5, we are instructed to "Have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had."* Imagine someone saying "Jesus had an attitude." They'd be right.
From Philippians 2:6-11**, we see 3 things Jesus did to have "the attitude" that we should do too:
1. Know who you are. Jesus knew Who He is (v. 6) Knowing who you are is key to having the right attitude.
2. Empty yourself of you - see v7a. Some of us are so full of ourselves that there's no room for God.
3. Humble yourself - see v. 8. You God can only show up and support the humble.**
In return for those 3 things, God did 3 things:
1. Honoured him with the highest Name possible (v. 9)
2. Ensured that everyone would honour Jesus (v. 10)
3. Filled Jesus with His (God’s) glory such that anytime anyone honoured Jesus, it will be to God's glory (v. 11b) This last piece was possible because Jesus had emptied Himself of Himself.
Zig Ziglar said "Your attitude determines your altitude."
When we have "the attitude," our altitude is determined by God Who is over all.
So have the attitude...and get ready for your High places in this Year of our High Places.
** Philippians 2:6-11