Thursday, January 22, 2015

2 nickels...

or knuckles?


I'm sure some of us have heard, or even used the phrase "my 2 cents." Looking at the meaning* of that phrase, the intention is clear.

Recently, someone sent me an email and ended it with "it's just my 2 cents." In my response, I noted that with pennies being phased out, and inflation of course, the person's contributions are "2 nickels."

As I thought about it some more (actually overnight), it occurred to me that sometimes, people's contributions actually come across as a confrontation. Hence the question - and the topic - "2 nickels or knuckles?"

The way I see it, there is nothing wrong with expressing one's opinion - it's all in the way it is expressed.

If you have a "2 knuckles" approach, you'll be more destructive than constructive.
As Christians, we must be constructive in our opinions - those are more valuable "nickels."


Footnote:
* "My 2 cents" - It is used to preface the tentative stating of one's opinion. By deprecating the opinion to follow – suggesting its value is only two cents, a very small amount – the user of the phrase hopes to lessen the impact of a possibly contentious statement, showing politeness and humility. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_two_cents)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...