Saturday, June 22, 2013

You can do it...

...we can help.

When I saw this slogan it sounded rather scriptural to me...the difference being that our Lord doesn't take any money from us in exchange for His help. Now, I'm not saying that what Home Depot is doing is wrong. In fact it is the right thing - after all they are a profit-making enterprise not a not-for-profit or charitable organization.
Ok so where am I going with this?

I guess for me, I'm hurt when people help others for what they can get from them. I remember sometime ago, someone was talking about helping others and added that the person you help should/would be able to help you sometime in the future. Some people were shocked/surprised - and rightly so- to hear that. I went past shock/surprise and spoke up. We all agreed that you don't look out to help those who can help you in future - you help others because it is the right thing to do - period. 

The Bible is so clear on that expectation: "encourage each other and help each other grow stronger in faith, just as you are already doing." (1 Thess 5:11 - Easy-To-Read Version) Knowing that it is not only in faith that we need to help and encourage each other and in order to help us continually help others, "God in His kindness gave each of us different gifts. If your gift is speaking God’s word, make sure what you say agrees with the Christian faith. 7If your gift is serving, then devote yourself to serving. If it is teaching, devote yourself to teaching. 8 If it is encouraging others, devote yourself to giving encouragement. If it is sharing, be generous. If it is leadership, lead enthusiastically. If it is helping people in need, help them cheerfully." (Rom 12: 6-8 God's Word Translation)

As individuals, we also have a part to play in helping and encouraging ourselves. I constantly remind myself that: "I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency]." I also take a cue from David - when he was "between the rock and a hard place," 1 Sam 30: 6b tells us:

"But David encouraged and strengthened himself in the Lord his God." (Amplified).

We must constantly remind ourselves that we can do it...with God's help.


P.S.
I celebrate The Home Depot's desire to empower people to "Do-It-Yourself" hence I'm publishing this piece 35 years (to the day) after they opened their first 2 stores. (http://ir.homedepot.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=63646&p=irol-faq#37548)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...