Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Lessons from a dozen

We just celebrated our first "dozen" years in marriage. Looking back, I cannot but thank God for His bountiful mercies and goodness to my husband and I. If His mercies were not new every morning* or if He didn't load us with benefits daily**, who knows where we'd be now. Indeed, it was a time of thinking and thanking.

You know when I think of a dozen, the first thing that comes to my mind is eggs. The more I thought about it, some similarities or shall I say, "lessons from the dozen," come to mind when thinking about marriage.
  1. Marriage is fragile and must be handled with care.
  2. A good marriage leads to a healthy life - bad marriages, like bad eggs, repel.
  3. We must treat our words like eggs, knowing that once spoken can never be put pack in the "shell" - and this one applies to everyone - married or not.
The other thing that comes to mind when I think of the word "dozen" is a dozen roses. While I'm not into flowers - so buy me something else if you want to give me a gift - I took some time to look into the siginficance of a dozen roses. Apparently roses are used to express love and appreciation while the number 12 means a complete cycle - think of the 12 months of the year or 12 "hours" on an analog clock. So I guess a dozen roses show "complete love." 12 reminds Christians of the twelve tribes of Israel, the 12 disciples & apostles and even the 12 foundations & gates in heaven (Rev 21: 19-21).  
Without a doubt, 12 is an important number to God - it indicates completeness of a phase and the beginning of a new "move." My prayer is that as we have started a "new cycle" in our marriage that we will properly position ourselves for the "New Thing" God has promised.

I also pray that you will also partake of the "New Thing" God has promised us all in this year.  
 
 
References:
*It is because of the Lord’s mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness. (Lam 3:22-23 - Amplified)
**Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, The God of our salvation! (Ps 68:19 -NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...