Saturday, June 16, 2012

For Fathers...

This evening, I was thinking about our Fathers' Day Service coming up tomorrow and wondered what I'd say to all fathers if I had the opportunity to say a thing or 2 to them... then it occurred to me that I do have the opportunity to - so here I go...

It's based on these two verses that reverberate for me from our Family month in church:

Prov 14: 26 - Those who fear the Lord are secure; he will be a refuge for their children.* 
So if you want your children to be safe, don't rely on your wife's (or their mother's) relationship with God to "protect" them - though it helps. God expects men to be there as a cover for their family - not just the "head" of his wife which many men seem to dwell on. 

Prov 13:22 - A good man leaves an inheritance [of moral stability and goodness] to his children’s children, and the wealth of the sinner [finds its way eventually] into the hands of the righteous, for whom it was laid up.** Now I particularly like the Amplified rendition of this verse because too many people associate the word "inheritance" with money and the truth is one can have money without virtue and that's not a good thing - see the 2nd half of that verse to understand what I mean. Dear Fathers, with how hard you work to cater for your family, please remember that only a virtuous man's "wealth" and legacy goes beyond one generation. Your relationship with God is your stepping stone and even a guarantee for that because God "has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant."*** (Italics, mine)

I know I said I'll say a thing or two but as I typed I decided to add a third thing:


God bless you all fathers; thank you for all you do - we need and love you alot...
Enjoy your day.

Sources:
*New Living Translation
**Amplified Version
***Ps 35:27 - NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...