Friday, January 6, 2012

From the lips to the hips

I didn't realize how true that simple phrase was until I was practically having to take a deep breath to get into some of my clothes. I never believed I'll see the day because I was known for teasing others - when we were at events and they are avoiding stuff, I'd be saying "bring it on - will it help me add weight?" And surely and truly, it added more to me than I desired.

Another story that brings a smile to my face happened several months ago. A child was selling chocolates & they were really nice chocolates - yes, I had more than I should have.

Well, the story is not about me - I guess the "fruits" of those choco-seeds will show up soon - as I was saying, a lady wanted to nibble some more and her husband very gently and firmly said "no" then went on to explain that if he didn't do that in a few days or so, his wife will wear something and ask him to "try harder" to get the zipper up - you know what I mean.

The other part to it is that some people eat more when they are sad or stressed. What do you do when you are stressed? I know some of us are "too blessed to be stressed" however, this picture indeed amused me and resonated when I remember stories about overweight people and how some of them got that way...

I guess, I have learned the "hard" way that indeed it's from the lips to the hips and if I want to avoid "hissing" each time something no longer fits as it used to or when I see an outfit I like but can't fit into, I need to watch what goes through my lips - health-wise & weight-wise. Proverbs 4:23 advises: "Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." (NLT) We also need to guard what goes into bodies through our lips for it determines the quality of our lives. Indeed it does...

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1862) put it this way:
Tell me what you eat, I'll tell you who you are.

Ultimately, the impact of what we eat is beyond what goes to our waistline or hips, it's more about our overall quality of life. Maria Robinson said "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." This is a fresh year and we all have been blessed with a fresh opportunity improve the quality of our lives...take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...