Monday, August 8, 2011

The Comment

I don't know if like me you're "comment-prone". Well, it's not just me...in fact, I call one of my children "Commentator" because he's so quick to make remarks or express his opinion whether or not it is sought.

As relational beings, we want to know what others think about us or about what we're doing/want to do. Sometimes we want comments that support what we are doing while at other times, we desire objectivity.

On the flip side, some of us, rightly or wrongly, feel we have an "obligation" to comment on whatever we see happening around us. It doesn't matter to us whether or not our opinions are solicited...we just comment. 

One of the questions I ask myself when I "feel" I need to comment is: "Will my comment be a commendation or condemnation?" You know, while I will not commend everything I'm asked to make a comment about, there is a way to express my opinion without condemning those involved. Proverbs 31: 26 (NLT) says "When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness" - that's exactly how I want my comments to come across.

Notice that the verse does not say "if she speaks" - possibly because there is a certainty that she will speak...whether or not she's asked to. My prayer is: "Lord, when we open our mouths to comment, may Proverbs 31:26 be an exact description of how our comments to come across...with kindness."
- and it will definitely be so if we T.H.I.N.K before we speak.*

*http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2011/06/think-before-you-speak.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...