Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Are you photogenic?

A few months ago, I saw an ad that caught my eye - the header was:
 "Are you the picture of health?"

The corollary question that popped in my mind immediately was:
"Are you photogenic?"
You know pictures can be deceptive. As if that is not bad enough, they can be manipulated - I mean, I've seen pictures that make people look absolutely heavenly. With Photoshop and other software there are so many things people do to their pictures - you may have heard of or even seen examples. Let's not forget that having a professional photographer also "helps."
So as I was saying, when I saw the ad header I started asking myself the same question they asked and went further. You know, it's one thing to be a picture of health and another thing is to be in possesion of the "health" you project or even profess. I know we have a multitude of promises and prospects of health in the Bible. For instance, 3 John 2 is crystal clear:
Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in every way and [that your body] may keep well, even as [I know] your soul keeps well and prospers. (Amp)
I'm sure we all know people that are extremely "healthy" and vibrant in their spirit and soul. The question I ask is: "How healthy and vibrant is the "vehicle" for your spirit and soul?"

At a recent convention, one of our senior pastors was appealing to women to "take care" of themselves. He sighted examples of how some women were selfless in taking care of everyone around them totally ignoring themselves and they paid a high price for that - they passed on before their time. I really don't want to imagine what God would have said to them. Maybe He'd say: "Good and faithful servant - I needed you out there longer."

I know we have talked about how "self-first is not selfishness"* - just need to stress it again:
Self-first is not selfishness  

When was the last time you went for a full physical/medical check up? I know that divine health is mine and yours if you believe however, there are times when we don't feel so good. For times like that, it is wise to direct your prayers - if you don't know what is "not right" with you how can you deal with the issue from its root? Misdirected prayers is a waste of breath while trial and error (prayers and even treatment) is a waste of resources - 
and, if you ask me, both are a waste of time. As we know, time wasted is life wasted...

So back to where we started - "Are you a picture of health or just photogenic?" We all have so much to do here on earth and some of those things are best done while we're still on earth. Don't leave a negative legacy of being a person who cared for everyone besides herself and hence died before her time. Like me, you may know a few people who after their death, people said: "Oh - he/she looked so healthy - what happened?" Take it upon yourself to take care of yourself so that you will truly possess that "picture of health" you project
Please don't be a "photo trick."

Reference:
*http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.com/2011/05/self-first-is-not-selfishness.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...