Saturday, May 14, 2011

Be empowered...

God has spoken once, twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God. (Ps 62:11 Amp)

I wonder how many of us have seen and meditated on this verse.

Well, the past 2 weekends God said one thing and made me hear it twice.

On May 7th, the Women's Fellowship of my church organized their first ever Women Empowerment Conference. The theme was Building with the blocks you have. It was a very interesting time. One thing I took away from it was said in 2 ways that stuck with me:

Our guest speaker, Ola Ifidion, stressed that:
Noone can envision your life for you...you have to have the vision for your life by yourself.

She also shared a Japanese proverb that set people, including me, reeling and reflecting:
Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.

We also had a wonderful time networking. You can checkout pictures and other highlights from that conference on https://www.facebook.com/KingsThrone.Calgary.

Then, I had to be out of town and heard about another Women's Empowerment Conference. It felt like I was hearing things. I looked it up & it was taking place today while I was still in town. I couldn't believe how God orchestrated things to my favour. I should get used to it...He's always looking out for me. The theme was: Stepping up and stepping out.

They had quite a line up of speakers:
Wilma J Brown came to ask us to "Get up and live a life on fire." She had such an engaging session and wrapped it up by saying that: "the only way to step up and step out is to get up."

Kelly Stallings talked about how important for women to help women and  when we do, we all rise and succeed. We must broaden our networks and increase our PowHER.

Toni Harris told us that: Sometimes you have to take drastic steps which includes taking care of ourselves healthwise and surrounding ourselves with positive foward-looking people. She ended by challenging us to have a plan, do our homework and "Just do it!"

Ivette Mayo said: no-one but me can define my success. She said that we're all blessed with gifts & talents and if we're not using them, we're not using our greatest potential.

Darla Powell Phillips said: our lives must have clarity, focus, ease and grace...it's a choice.

One thing that was common in both conferences was the need to have a vision and build with the blocks we have. Gail Devers wraps it up nicely: Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hardwork, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible to those who believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...