Saturday, September 11, 2010

9:11 Challenge

Today is 9.11 - this set of numbers brings different memories and emotions when mentioned. Some people remember with great sadness the number of people who lost their lives on the 11th of September 2001; some others are grateful to God for how He delivered them from that tragedy but still share the sadness of those who lost their family and friends - who wouldn't?

Just writing, I feel sadness well up in my heart. I pray God will continue to give those who lost their family members, friends, colleagues, neighbours &/or acquaintances the grace to go on with their lives and better yet, make postive impact in other people's lives; that was the challenge that hit me when I read Proverbs 9:11.

Having lost a very, very dear family member several years ago, I know first-hand how difficult it can be to "go on with life" - so I'd like to call this the:
 "9:11 Challenge."         
Let's talk about this some more and you'll see why...

Proverbs 9:11 says "Wisdom will multiply your days and add years to your life." (NLT). So we have only so many days but can multiply them. 

Indeed, life is so short especially as we never know when our last day will be. On the other hand, too many times we, at least I do, think and feel that 24 hours are not enough for us to do all we need to. The good news is that no one on earth cannot claim to be richer or poorer in this respect. God has given all of us exactly the same number of hours in each day and yet some people accomplish so much more in one day than some others achieve in a week or a month or even in their entire lifetime. When I read this verse I started wondering which side of that spectrum I fall into yet at the same time, I was grateful that it is possible to "multiply" my days.

What does that verse really mean for us? Personally, I believe and know from experience that our days can be more productive once we live and walk in the wisdom of God. How do we get wise? Back up to verse 10 of that chapter and you'll see how - by fearing (honoring and obeying) God and to fear God you need to know Him. Once you know and fear God, you are equipped to make impact in and with your life.

It's not how long you live that matters but how many people are impacted and blessed by your life. I found this Indian saying that puts the 9:11 challenge succintly: "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die the world cries and you rejoice."

Like Guillaume de Salluste Du Bartas said in Divine Weeks and Works (1578): Who well lives, long lives; for this age of ours should not be numbered by years, days, and hours.*

I like to ask myself and others (including you): "Are people glad or sad wherever you go or whenever you go?"

One step in answering this is to join me - take the 9:11 Challenge and make this 9:11 Pledge:

I choose to multiply my days
by making positive impact in other people's lives everyday and in every way. 
So help me God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...