Saturday, May 1, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes...

Happy New Month!!

You can't imagine what happened this morning...a day after the piece on Vitamins for vitality. Some would call it a coincidence - I call it a divine orchestration.

One of my children "educated" me on mangoes saying: "Mummy, did you know that mangoes are very healthy?" Without waiting for a response, he continued, "they have vitamins for adults (i.e. vitamin A), vitamins for bosses (i.e. vitamin B), vitamins for children (i.e. vitamin C) and vitamins for kids (vitamin K)."

Now that was quite a mouthful for a Saturday morning. You'd think that he mentioned vitamins for children and kids as a way to stress why he was entitled to mangoes but he didn't make any request. Well, I decided to store and ponder on it in my heart (like Mary did), dig into his "information" and of course share it on this blog. So here's what I found out:

"Mangoes offer many nutrients that boost health. Unlike many fruits, mangoes are rich in vitamin E. In addition, mangoes contain:
•vitamins A (beta-carotene), B6, C, and K
•potassium
•calcium
•phosphorus
•magnesium
•copper
•iron
•zinc
•fiber
One mango contains over three grams of fiber. Not only does fiber lower cholesterol and promote healthy digestion, but fiber has also been shown to aid weight loss."* Now the weight loss part caught my attention.

Needless to say, in going the extra mile to check out my son's "information", I've learned something new. At least now I can also tell him that mangoes also have vitamins for everyone (i.e. vitamin E).

I've also been reminded not to ignore what our children say - that way we can correct them if they have the wrong information or reinforce their desire to know more about the world around them.

Have a wonderful month ahead. God bless.
Source:
*Mango Nutrition — Health Benefits of the Mango: Nutrients in and Nutritional Value of Mangoes http://food-facts.suite101.com/article.cfm/mango-nutrition--health-benefits-of-the-mango

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...