Saturday, May 15, 2010

Is it well or is it a well?

A lot of us are very good in quoting the scriptures. I know that when you ask so many people: “How are you?” the standard response is “It is well”. I know that this phrase originates from Isaiah 3:10, which says: “Say to the righteous that it shall be well with them, for they shall eat the fruit of their deeds.”* The Bible encourages us to say: “it shall be well” to the righteous and so many times even when the righteous is in a well, they say: “it is well”.

Thinking about someone who was actually in a well, Joseph – see Genesis 37: 23-24: “When Joseph had come to his brothers, they stripped him of his [distinctive] long garment which he was wearing; Then they took him and cast him into the [well-like] pit which was empty; there was no water in it”*

Let’s imagine for a moment that one of his brothers cared enough to ask: “Joseph, how are you doing?” Do you think his response would have been: “It is well” or “as well as can be expected considering that I’m in a well”. May sound like a play on words but ruminate on it a bit. What would your response had been if you were in his place?

If I were in his place, I may have tried putting up a brave face then when I realise that they are not joking, I may consider crying and inviting them to a pity party – after all I was their little brother. I doubt that “it is well” would even come to my mind…it never ceases to amaze me how he retained his composure while in the well. Maybe that’s what God expects of us too – to first realise that we’re in a well and remain anchored in Him. That’s why years later Joseph could say:

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people."**

I believe in being positive and optimistic, I also believe that when we are realistic it is easier to be positive. For instance, except you accept that you have a challenge or stumbling block ahead of you, you may not successfully come up with a plan or strategy to turn it into a stepping stone. Ignoring an issue is not the solution. Jesus was realistic and optimistic when He said: “I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.] (John 16:33)*

Indeed “it is well” for those who love God and who are called according to His purpose even when we are in a well. It just behoves on us to be cognisant of our current state and keep focussed on God Who always makes all things work together for our good. By all means when asked how you are, if you are in a well state that fact but remember the truth that "it is well" - don't every lose sight of that. The truth always supercedes and outlives the fact of your circumstances. When you are "in a well" - look up not down - remember that with God on your side and "It is well!"

God bless


Source

* Amplified Bible
** Gen 50:20 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...