Thursday, May 27, 2010

Living sacrifice or leaving sacrifice?

We've talked a bit about sacrificial giving and sacrificial living - I want to approach this form a slightly different angle. Our brother Paul said (emphasis mine): I appeal to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.* (Romans 12:1)

It's so easy to talk about how we should be living sacrifices whose sole aim to do whatever the Lord directs, whenever He directs, to/for whomever He directs and however He directs - well I hear about it in sermons too. But is it really that easy to be a living sacrifice? I say talk is cheap, walk costs.

My heart desire is to be wholly available to God. This refrain puts it nicely:
Lord, I'm available to You,
My Will I give to You, I'll do what You say do
Use me Lord, To show someone the way
And enable me to say:
"My storage is empty, (and) I am available to You"**

So stop here and ask yourself: Are you a living sacrifice or a sacrifice that goes and comes based on convenience? It has been said that the problem with living sacrifices is that they leave when they see the fire coming?

You know in being truly available to God, there will be trials - in fact He promised us fire and waters: "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.. (Is 43:2 - NKJV)

There will be times when you will be persecuted, even in the church, for being available to God - hang in there, don't leave the altar because of the fire. There could also be times when the needs of the ministry seem like they will drown you, don't look at the waves - keep looking at the Lord. 

I've said this to some of my friends - we're wired to outlast the blasts of the enemy. He knows that if he can get us off the altar often and long enough, we will not achieve our full potential and purpose in God. And if we don't pay the price, we cannot expect to receive the prize.
I'll say to you what I say to myself - be a living sacrifice not a leaving sacrifice - gold is not any good until it goes through the fire...

*Amplified Bible
**Lord I’m Available To You by Hezekiah Walker


You gave my hands to reach out to man,
To show him Your love and Your perfect plan,
You gave me my ears I can hear your voice so clear
I can hear the cries on sinners, but can I wipe away their tears.

You gave my voice to speak Your words,
To sing all Your praises to those who never heard.
But with my ease I see a need for more availability
I see hearts that have been broken so many people to be free

Refrain:
Lord I’m available to You
My will I give to You, I’ll do what You say do.
Use me Lord to show someone the way and enable me to say
My storage is empty and I am available to You.

Now I’m giving back to You all the tools You gave to me
My hands my ears, my voice, my eyes
So You can use them as You please
I have emptied out my cup, so You can fill me up,
Now I’m free I just want to be more available to You.

Refrain:
Lord I’m available to You
My will I give to You, I’ll do what You say do.
Use me Lord to show someone the way and enable me to say
My storage is empty and I am available to You

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...