Monday, April 12, 2010

One thing I learned from my mother

Depending on which part of the world you’re in, Mothers’ day has already passed or is on its way. Isn’t it interesting that unlike Fathers’ day that comes up only once a year, we have 2 dates set aside for mothers?

In some places it was on March 14th 2010 and for others it will be on May 9th 2010. So I’ve decided to post this on a date in-between both special days…interesting this coincides with my mother’s birthday (and to think that was not the intention - it just happened).

Recently, I was discussing with a friend about something I learned from my mother and she made a statement that I felt I need to share within the context of what I learned from my mother.

When I was younger, I learned not to ever go and ask my mother to “lend” me money. Whenever I made the mistake of asking her to “lend” me money, she ensured that I returned it. The lesson I learned was, if I wanted money from her – I might as well ask outright as against hoping to borrow and never return the money. She taught me to be upfront in my requests not to be subtle or even deceptive. She also taught me to have integrity so that when I borrowed money or anything else from her or anyone else, I’d know that I had to return it - come what may.

That’s a different story now – so many people borrow things from others e.g. books, films, money and other things and just never return them…it is sad.

This must be why the phrase my friend shared with me came into being. She said: “Lend what you can part with.” It was my first time of ever hearing it; I see the sense in it though I don’t completely agree with it.

As women of integrity, I expect that when we borrow something, even as basic as a rubbermaid container, that we return it to the rightful owner. Without mincing words, any thing short of that is stealing…and we all know that we must not steal. I'd suggest you look around your home and identify things that are not yours and return them to their rightful owners.
Back to the topic, my mother taught me a lot of things – this is just one of them. As part of our tribute to mothers this year, please share any similar examples…

May God help us all to be good (& even better) mothers so our children can look back and thank God for us too. Amen

Happy Mother’s Day - in advance or in arrears!!! Remember that EVERYday is Mothers' day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...