Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Which is it...

...advice or warning?

That was the question that kept going through my mind as I pondered on a Business name I saw.


The name was "Pray to God Cab Service." As the cab drove past mine, I wondered, "Did the owner want to alert people of the importance of praying to God or is it a "disclaimer" type phrase?" Imagine being in that cab and the driver is not the safest driver? I guess you'd know that was not just advice...

Reading that name, reminded me of the importance of the words we speak and share with others.

For everything we say, there's something that we're not saying. I'm almost sure that's how the saying "read between the lines" came about. These days, I am learning to be a bit more silent so I can listen and hear between the words being spoken. You need to do the former to do the latter.

Sometimes when I listen to others I ask myself
"Was the person just sharing information or their intention with me?" 
There is so much suggestive speaking going on these days that you need to listen intently to hear and sometimes clarify what is really been said beyond the spoken words.

The other dimension of this is to truly take the time to listen to others when they are speaking to you. It is the respectful thing to do. I find this especially critical in our marriage and family relationships because some of us too easily take each other for granted - and we shouldn't.
Shannon L Adler said: "The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn't being said. The art of reading between the lines is a life long quest of the wise."
Hence, it is important to realize that sometimes the words being read and/or spoken or not written and/or spoken are a warning...not just advice or vice versa - i.e. are advice not a warning.

Advice and warnings need appropriate action so take note and act accordingly - that's my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...