Thursday, May 3, 2018

Check your connection

A few weeks ago, I noticed something really strange...

My phone was running out of power so as anyone would do, I plugged it in to recharge the battery. From time to time I checked the connection - which was intact. However despite the charging icon showing on my phone, I noticed that the battery of my phone was being drained rather than being recharged.

Hmm...there was obviously something wrong with the connection to my phone. I was amazed that it was possible to be "connected" to an expected source of power and yet it was draining the power that my phone even had. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that there was something happening here that was more than met the eye. Hence this post...

I started thinking about some of my connections - which abound - on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter etc. Oh let's not forget What's App. So I started asking myself what the true value of all my connections are? And felt that I should also ask you...who are my connections.

Do your connections add to you - or take away from you? Interesting that this came up a few weeks after I had a deep conversation with a dear sister-friend of mine. We were talking about attending a conference and I was telling her that I was having difficulty deciding whether or not to attend the event. We both agreed that each person has to come to a place where they can ask themselves what value is added to them or what value they add by being connected to/with particular people or things.

The truth about life is that anyone or thing that is not adding value to you is eroding value - there is no neutral ground. Going back to my phone, I'm sure you know what I did when I noticed this strange phenomenon. Yes of course!!! I'm promptly disconnected it and sought an alternative source and conductor of power. Likewise, in life we need to each take stock now and again about the connections we have. There are times when value is being added in one direction as my friend pointed out to me. She said, attending some events is provides us with opportunities to add value to others and by adding value to others, you add value to yourself even if you do not derive any "direct" value from it. Well with the way she put it, I couldn't agree more...

Having said that, it's never a waste of time to check your connection(s). If you don't take the time you, you may find out that you have actually wasted time and lost value. Check you connection(s) today.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...