Wednesday, March 9, 2016

"Looks nice"

This post is born out of a recent experiential experiment or was it an experimental experience? Whichever - it was both and experiment and an experience. You'll understand why in a moment.

"Looks nice" was one of the nicest comments I got when a few weeks ago I decided to balance a bottle of water on my head while walking through the mall. Did I just hear/sense a "Huh?!" from you? Yes I know - my sentiments exactly.

Background: I didn't want to "lose" my bottle of water as I didn't have a purse/bag to put it in. Then I remembered that a few years ago, my doctor "prescribed" that I balance a book on my head then walking like that when I told him my back hurt - so I decided to do it with my bottle of water.

The reactions were varied from the surprised "What is she doing?" look  to people tapping those they were with to "look at her." A few other people smiled while some avoided eye contact when they noticed that I'd noticed that they were looking at me. All in all, I learned a few lessons about staying focused:

  1. Follow God to the letter: Whether or not others understand or agree with what you are doing, follow God's instructions to the letter. I'm almost convinced that God asked me to do this "Balance-the-Bottle" walk in order to learn then share more about FOCUS
  2. Outlook: Look up - not down... if I dared look down the bottle would have toppled off my head. "Outlook" is one's point of view or general attitude to life. So no matter how "down" the situation around you may seem, be like David and "Look up to God for your help."* Your Outlook should always be to look UP. 
  3. Concentrate: Don't be distracted - by encouragers, discouragers or those wondering "What is he/she doing?" I'm sure I didn't see/hear half of the people who saw/watched me but I didn't let the smiles/surprised looks of those I made eye contact with distract me.
  4. Unusual:  It's not usual to have people walk around the mall with bottles of water on their heads. If you're bored, do something; break up your fallow ground - do something different. "Unusual" means "remarkable or interesting because different from or better than others." As I wrapped up my walk, someone asked with intrigue: "How do you do that?" my response was "I just did." Sometimes you just need to do - not just dream.
  5. Stand tall: Physically, I had to stand and walk tall for the bottle to remain balanced. Idiomatically, "stand tall" means to be confident, which for me is the same as stepping out in faith. And stepping out in faith and with focus is the only way you can get from where you are to where you need to be.
 


Reference:
* Psalm 121: 1- 2 - I will lift up my eyes to the hills [of Jerusalem] - From where shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth. (AMP)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...