Sunday, February 14, 2016

"Eure..."

I think - "ka!"



A few weeks ago, I looked at myself in the mirror after I wore my Exercise clothes - note that I didn't say "Gym clothes." I did that on purpose so I don't restrict myself to the gym... considering how often I don't got there despite my deepest desire to go often.  As I was saying, after looking at myself in the mirror I blurted "But why?" - that was the only question that came to mind after noticing a bulge or 2. I started asking "Why do Exercise clothes have to show so much?" As I the questions continued it occurred to me that loose Exercise clothes especially tops hide what we need to work on so I decided to accept that those bulges I saw actually needed my attention.

I then started asking myself what do I need to do differently besides watch my diet, exercise regularly - not necessarily in the gym and other ideas then "Eureka!" I got it... I'll start skipping - yes skipping rope. It sounded like a great idea, I mean I can do it at home, at my convenience and even create a game around it challenging my children or shall I say encouraging them to challenge me while we all get some exercise in. After the "Eure - I think - ka" moment, I decided to look into what the possible benefits are before I skip down that path.

The 3 common benefits (rhythmic-twist in names by me) on all the websites I checked are:
  1. Calories count-down - "Skipping burns about twice as many calories as walking and is aerobic like running with none of the disadvantages."1 "Research has found that people who lose weight and keep it off typically use diet and exercise in order to reach their weight loss goals. Jumping rope for 30 minutes will produce a caloric burn of approximately 300 calories-and therefore, in order to lose one pound per week, you must jump rope for thirty minutes every day and cut out 400 calories from your diet. While this may seem intimidating, it will promote the greatest amount of weight loss in the healthiest manner possible."2 "The more comfortable you are while doing physical activity, the more likely you are to be physically active, which in turn will burn more calories toward weight loss."3
  2. Muscle-making - "Skipping gives a full-body workout. It is especially great for toning and developing thighs, shins and calf muscles. Simultaneously, it also works on abs and arms."4 "The biggest benefit of jumping rope is that it builds muscle while also improving your level of cardiovascular fitness."5 Sounds like a "2 for the price of 1" deal - I like it.
  3. Cardiovascular content - "Jumping up and down might not seem to get you anywhere, but a session of jumping rope is an excellent cardio workout. Cardio workouts increase the ability of your system to transfer blood and oxygen to and from your heart to the rest of your body. Jumping rope builds your endurance, strengthens your heart, lungs and arteries, and can help keep major illnesses such heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes at bay."6 Did I mention that February is "Heart Month"? So here's one more - inexpensive - Healthy Heart tip7 if you ask me.
And the cherry on-top, the portability of this form of exercise is definitely attractive. "Skipping is versatile: it can be done in large outdoor areas, or indoors in your cramped-size kitchen."1 Now I need to make sure I make it fun so I stick with this and can say "Eureka!" without a pause.

One last thing, for those who want to see "everything in the Bible" - 'Skipping is as a form of exercise and means of movement is as old as the Bible. It is mentioned in several places: for instance, Songs of Solomon says, "Behold he comes leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills". The book of Malachi says, "But for you who fear my name, there will arise the sun of justice with healing in his wings; and you will gambol like calves out of the stall." (Webster's defines "gambol" as "skipping or leaping about in play: a frolicking movement.")'1 (I've added the verses below).

Skipping is Scriptural:
Songs of Solomon 2:8 - I hear my lover’s voice [the sound of my lover]Here he comes jumping [leaping] across the mountains, skipping [bounding] over the hills [he moves with agile grace and speed]. (EXB)
Malachi 4:2 -  But for you who fear My name [with awe-filled reverence] the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go forward and leap [joyfully] like calves [released] from the stall. (AMP)

Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...