Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Who/What defines you?

I recently watched a Comedy titled: "Confessions of a Shopaholic."
While there were many pockets of wisdom wound around witty scenes, one that stood for me was when Rebecca's dad wanted to sell off the RV he and his wife (her mother) had spent their life savings on. She protested saying something like: "You can't, it defines you." Her father promptly refuted that & said:
"NoTHING defines me. You & your Mum define me" (emphasis in CAPS mine).
As that scene brought tears to my eyes, a smile to my face & of course a fuzzy feeling in my heart, I remembered BJ Thomas' song that a very dear sister in our church reminded us during one of our Early Morning Prayer sessions (aka #TEMPO).


Here are the lyrics and video (https://youtu.be/8cEZjSp0ZSQ) - it's a really simple song you can learn & teach your children too:
Using things and loving people 
That's the way it's got to be
Using things and loving people
Look around and you will see
That loving things and using people
Only leads to misery
Using things and loving people
That's the way it's got to be
(...For you and me)
Sadly too many people are defined by what they have or are rather than who they have & Whose they are - I'm sure know one or more of such people. People are always more important than things... only insane people will give their life for things but a sinless Man gave His life for us. Now that's Who I want to be defined by - what about you?


P.S.
There were 2 other key lessons I (re)learned & will continue hold on to - as I already do:
1. Cost and worth are very different things...
2. The "wealth" in her writing was from a point of naivety. For me this was another licence to keep blogging from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...