Tuesday, September 15, 2015

"Seriously?!"

I suspect that was the Widow of Zarephath's response when God told her she'd be taking care of another full-grown adult and a man for that matter, during the famine.

How do I know?

1 Kings 17:8-9 says Then the Lord spoke his word to Elijah [word of the Lord came to him], “Go to Zarephath in Sidon and live there. I have commanded a widow there to take care of [provide for; feed] you.” (Expanded Bible)
In fact her response to Elijah when he eventually showed up confirms it further see verse 12:
The woman answered, “As surely as the Lord your God lives, I have no bread. I have only a handful of flour in a jar [bowl] and only a little olive oil in a jug. I came here to gather some wood so I could go home and cook our last meal. My son and I will eat it and then die [of hunger].” (Expanded Bible)

In other words, she was essentially saying "God knows as well as I do that I only have a last meal left. Would you and God want to deny a child his last meal?"

I'm sure some of us can relate with this considering some of the "unbelievable" things God asks us to do. Well I can.  Obeying Him, though difficult, is faith in action - not just in words. It's truly taking that first step like Martin Luther King Jr said. You know the thing about (actually, benefit in) obeying God is He then does incredulously incredible things in return.

Let's read the rest of the story:
13 “Don’t worry [be afraid],” Elijah said to her. “Go home and cook your food as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread from the flour you have, and bring it to me. Then cook something for yourself and your son. 14 The Lord, the God of Israel, says, ‘That jar of flour will never be empty [spent; used up], and the jug will always have oil in it [not run dry/fail/be empty], until the day the Lord sends rain to the land.’” 15 So the woman went home and did what Elijah told her to do. And the woman and her son and Elijah [family; household] had enough food every day [for many days]. 16 The jar [bowl] of flour and the jug of oil were never empty, just as the Lord, through Elijah, had promised [according to the word of the Lord, spoken through Elijah]. (Expanded Bible)

Imagine if she had just said "Seriously?!" and walked off in a huff? Without fail, she and her son would indeed have died of hunger - maybe even sooner than she'd have imagined. As Christians, we must learn to truly trust and obey God. You cannot say you trust God if you don't obey Him. It's not easy to obey every time, however it's rewarding to obey quickly every time.

May God help us obey when He comes up with asks that make us go: "Seriously?!" AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...