Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Next size please (2)

I first wrote on this topic on my other blog - feel free to check it out

This topic came to me again as a result of this question I asked myself:


Are our children growing faster and bigger or is it that some adults are "growing" slower and smaller?

I had to ask this question because I see a trend of my not yet adult-age son, wearing adult-size clothes and shoes.

As I thought about it, it was obvious that there is only so much that you can blame on global warming - which already gets blamed for flooding, heat waves etc.

So what is causing this phenomenon? Are clothes manufacturers purposefully reducing their size charts so we pay more for adult clothes that our children need to wear or is the growth spurt in children directly correlated to the GM (genetically-modified) and junk foods on store shelves? Which ever it is, one this is certain, we should focus on what we can control. In this case it's the latter so: we need to learn to eat healthy. When it comes to eating healthy, we should watch not just our waist lines but our children's too.

I'm not saying that all growth is bad...but some are. If children are getting bigger because of junk food, we must realize that as Jeanette Jenkins said: “Every living cell in your body is made from the food you eat. If you consistently eat junk food then you’ll have a junk body.”
My husband continues to say, and I agree that, we shouldn't wait for the doctor to tell us to change our diets before we start watching what and how we eat. I was listening to a message recently and Pastor Femi Olawale talked about feeding vs. filling people. The same can be said or shall I say asked about our children. Do we just fill them - so they become fat or do we actually feed them so they flourish?  
Prov 22:6 says Teach children in a way that fits their needs, and even when they are old, they will not leave the right path. (NLT, emphasis mine)
Focus on your child(ren)'s needs not their wants - that's what's best for them. Now that brings me back full circle to where this piece started. I want, actually really need to pay children's prices for children's clothes...is there anyone who can help me with that?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...